For 2016, the Northeast Iowa RC&D Employee Giving Fund focused on projects dedicated to helping youth explore RC&D focus areas such as art, the environment, tourism, regional marketing, economic development, and community betterment. Projects benefited the seven county region of Allamakee, Buchanan, Chickasaw, Clayton, Fayette, Howard, and Winneshiek Counties.
Over $8,000 in requests were made for 23 projects and the Employee Giving Fund was able to fund 11 projects totaling over $4,000. The following are projects were awarded funding for 2016:
- Allamakee County Conservation Board (Harper’s Ferry): Youth Fly Fishing Clinic
- Buchanan County ISU Extension and Outreach (Independence): Agriculture Education Working Exhibits
- Guttenberg Gallery & Creativity Center (Guttenberg): 2016 Summer Art Camps
- Helping Services for Northeast Iowa: Exploring the Arts!
- Howard Soil & Water Conservation District (Cresco): Arbor Day Outdoor Classroom
- New Minowa Players (Decorah): Children’s Show
- Oelwein Public Library (Oelwein): Composting at the Library
- Oneota Film Festival (Decorah): 2016 Oneota Film Festival Teen Documentary
- Sustainable Independence (Independence): Donate Solar Power to our School
- Upham Memorial Library (Fredericksburg): Children’s’ Art Series at the Library
- Winneshiek County Convention & Visitors Bureau (Decorah): Kids are Tourists!
The Employee Giving Fund (EGF) is supported by contributions from the RC&D Board of Directors and private donations and is administered by the 10 employees at Northeast Iowa RC&D. This grant program offers funding for projects that benefit youth between preschool and 12th grade within the seven-county region of Allamakee, Buchanan, Chickasaw, Clayton, Fayette, Howard, and Winneshiek.
The Northeast Iowa RC&D Employee Giving Fund strives to support the mission of Northeast Iowa RC&D: To recognize opportunities and provide leadership to make our region a vibrant, place-based model for the Nation. Our region includes Allamakee, Buchanan, Chickasaw, Clayton, Fayette, Howard, and Winneshiek counties.
2014 Grant Award Recipients
Northeast Iowa RC&D received 13 applications requesting funding from the Employee Giving Fund. After much deliberation, RC&D employees selected 9 projects in six counties for full or partial funding. Applicants were notified on March 17th and an RC&D awards ceremony is being planned. The projects will benefit youth Pre-K – 12th grade and impact communities by “inspiring, empowering, enriching and educating children through art!”
Awarded projects include the following:
- The Clay Studio will purchase a mobile kiln so they can hold pottery classes across the region. Contact the Clay Studio for more information: www.theclaystudiodecorah.com
- North Winneshiek School District received funding for art supplies to help students develop willow sculptures on school grounds.
- Independence Library will hold a series of multi-cultural art classes at the library for elementary students. (Independence schools don’t currently have an elementary art program). More information contact the Independence Library at (319) 334-2470.
- Upham Memorial Library will hold a series of art classes, highlighting different forms of art including dance, jewelry, candle making etc. Contact the library at (563) 237-6498 for more information.
- Elgin Homecoming Committee will hold an event that includes public art experiences for children during their Homecoming weekend June 19-22.
- Allamakee County 4-H leaders will work with children to garner approval from City officials for and then design and paint a mural in Harpers Ferry.
- 4th grade Art Teacher from Howard Winneshiek Community Schools will work with students to develop Claymation movies about invasive species.
- ArtHaus will launch a teenage fine-arts apprenticeship program. Applications are being accepted until July. More information can be found at www.arthausdecorah.org
- The New Minowa Players will use the funds to help with the expenses for their Annual Children’s Show. The young actors assist with all aspects of the production including set deign and construction as well as promotional material design. The show will be performed five times in October. Check out the New Minowa Players Community Theatre website for details.
The Northeast Iowa RC&D Employee Giving Fund (EGF) was launched in the fall of 2013 and has awarded their first round of grants for The Power of Art!
The EGF recognizes that art has the power to shape communities and regions. We sought applications for projects that would benefit/impact a community or the region by inspiring, empowering, enriching, educating, and motivating Pre-K-12th grade youth through art.
Eligible projects included all forms of art-performing, visual, installations, etc that benefited youth between Pre-K-12th grade within Allamakee, Buchanan, Chickasaw, Clayton, Fayette, Howard, and/or Winneshiek counties.
Anyone was welcome to apply for grant funds. The maximum award amount was $500 and applicants could request 100% of the total project costs; no match was required.